Type of contract:
Start of Contract:
Duration of contract:
Vacancy Notice issued:
Deadline for Application:
|Interpreter/Translator and Administrative Assistant
National Staff Contract/full-time position
Libya Program/Libya Office
31 December 2013
20 August 2013
until positions have been filled
The International Commission on Missing Persons (ICMP) endeavors to secure the co-operation of governments and other authorities in locating and identifying persons missing as a result of armed conflicts, human rights abuses and other causes and to assist them in doing so. ICMP also supports the work of other organizations in their efforts, encourages public involvement in its activities and contributes to the development of appropriate expressions of commemoration and tribute to the missing.
ICMP will implement a project in Libya to support the Libyan Government in its efforts to locate, recover and identify persons missing as a result of armed conflict and violations of human rights.
The Interpreter/Translator and Administrative Assistant will perform dual role within the office in Libya. This is primarily Interpreter/Translator position for the Libya Office. The function of admin assistant will require basic performance of general admin duties (cashier, secretary, logistics and other similar admin support) for the entire office and as instructed by the direct supervisor.
This position is short- term and will last until the end of December 2013, with possibility of extension throughout 2014. Under the direct supervision of the Head of Libya Program, the incumbent will be responsible for:
Translations and Interpretations:
- Translates a variety of texts, respecting deadlines and using appropriate terminology; interprets (consecutively and simultaneously) from/into Arabic and English;
- Accompanies ICMP personnel to provide interpretation during meetings, conferences, discussions, radio and television shows, interviews, etc.,
- Monitor electronic and print media for issues related to enforced disappearance and the work of ICMP; establish and maintain an archive of relevant media reports;
- Provide administrative, logistical and other support to the ICMP Office in Tripoli and its staff;
- Act as a Cashier and be responsible for the daily cash flow, cash withdrawal, cash exestuation;
- Responsible for monthly imprest for the Office and all financial records/movements including imprest accounting, Duty Trip Requests and Cash Advance requests;
- Undertake day to day payments, including payment of office bills; archive and maintain financial documentation, ensuring that all invoices and receipts are verified and translated into English and in line with internal ICMP financial regulations;.
- Responsible for proper bookkeeping of all financial transactions and regular and timely sending/informing finance office in HQ
- Coordinate all activities with the relevant Units in Sarajevo;
- Assist in scheduling, planning, coordination and implementation of meetings and other events;
- Maintain the official contact list of the office;
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Supervisor.
- University degree in English Language or equivalent experience;
- Demonstrated proficiency to write in the English language;
- Fluent in Arabic is required;;
- Previous work experience with international organizations is an advantage;
- Competency in administrative and clerical duties;
- Computer skills (word-processing, spreadsheets, internet/email)
A Curriculum Vitae with cover letter should be e-mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Only those selected for interview will be contacted.