Type of contract:
Start of Contract:
Duration of contract:
Vacancy Notice issued:
Deadline for Application:
|CSI Program Assistant/Interpreter
National Staff Contract/full-time position
Libya Program/Civil Society Initiatives
31 December 2013
20 August 2013
until positions have been filled
The International Commission on Missing Persons (ICMP) endeavors to secure the co-operation of governments and other authorities in locating and identifying persons missing as a result of armed conflicts, human rights abuses and other causes and to assist them in doing so. ICMP also supports the work of other organizations in their efforts, encourages public involvement in its activities and contributes to the development of appropriate expressions of commemoration and tribute to the missing.
ICMP will implement a project in Libya to support the Libyan Government in its efforts to locate, recover and identify persons missing as a result of armed conflict and violations of human rights.
The successful candidate will be assisting the implementation of the civil society initiatives component of ICMP programs in Libya, working closely with families of missing persons and civil society organizations that are involved in the missing persons process in Libya. The successful candidate will demonstrate outstanding inter-personal and communication skills, in particular when dealing with families of missing persons. The successful candidate will report to the ICMP Civil Society Initiatives Program Coordinator.
- To assist in the implementation and development of the civil society initiatives component of ICMP programs in Libya, allocate resources and ensure outcomes as set forth in program descriptions;
- To assist organization of a series of workshops and training events to a) raise awareness among the families of missing about the forensic process and the role of the families in that process, and b) raise awareness of international human rights that relate to the issue of missing persons;
- To assist the ICMP’s grant making facility in Libya;
- To assist in research and writing, in concert with other ICMP Libya program staff, a guide for the families of missing persons;
- To assist in development and maintenance of a database of associations of families of missing persons and other relevant CSOs;
- To assist in development and implementation of a baseline survey to obtain information regarding the perception of families of missing persons towards the missing persons process in Libya;
- Stay attuned to initiatives and work undertaken by others on the missing persons issue;
- Provide regular reports to the ICMP Libya program director.
- Any other duties that may be assigned.
- University degree preferable;
- Relevant work experience in an international organization, government institution or relevant international or national non-governmental organization or civil society organization;
- Relevant work experience with victims groups, especially families of missing persons - highly desirable
- A good understanding of human rights and transitional justice;
- Strong political judgment and cultural sensitivity;
- Ability to build effective relationships with families of missing persons and civil society organizations which gather such families;
- Fluent Arabic is required;
- Excellent knowledge of English.
A Curriculum Vitae with cover letter should be e-mailed to email@example.com.
Only those selected for interview will be contacted.Women are strongly encouraged to apply.